Parallel Visions: City of Angels City of Demons ebook and trade paperback available on Amazon (or here).
Writing advice gallery
That's right, every story must start with action.
Deus ex Machina never works.
Nobody likes a Mary Sue.
Third person omniscient is so 19th Century.
Deus ex Machina never works.
All I need to solve this mystery is an antagonist.
I say Jeeves, don't you think all great literature
is about characters who change and grow?.
Everybody skips the exposition.
Standing tall against the outrage of plot theft.
When dialogue you write, dialect you should not use.
Show, don't tell (image).
You know Wilson, you can't tell a story without conflict.
Prologues never contribute to the story.
Swedish Chef - Writing advice without talking about genre.
The protagonist has to succeed all on their own.
Looking for writing rules? Start here.
What's up with this?
- 3 Reasons Why Show, Don’t Tell It Is Bad Writing Advice (link)
- The 4 Hidden Dangers of Writing Groups (link)
- 5 Creative Flaws That Will Expose Your Lack of Storytelling Experience (link)
- 5 situations where it's better to tell than show in your fiction (link)
- 8 Bogus "Rules" New Writers Tell Each Other (link)
- 8 Urban Myths to Squelch During Story Critiques (link)
- An open letter to anyone who wants to be a writer
- Counteracting bad writing advice
- How to Escape the Show, Don’t Tell Trap (link)
- On Terrible Writing Advice from Famous Authors (link)
- The One Writing Rule
- The problem with writing advice is how high level it is
- Some notes on writing advice
- Some Writing Advice That’s Mostly Useless (And Why) (link)
- Stupid Writing Rules: Why One Size Fits All Advice Doesn't Work (link)
- Teaching originality, a rant on bad writing advice
- The ten worst writing tips I’ve received (link)
- That's right, every story must start with action
- When you start with 'The best fiction is about a character who changes in some significant way'
- Writing advice gallery
- Writing advice gone bad
- Writing Advice not Eye-Stabbing (link)
- Tell a Good Story
- Deus ex Machina never works.jpg
- Discworld - Third person omniscient is so 19th Century.png
- Elric - Nobody likes a Mary Sue.png
- Getting the character name right is critical.jpg
- Jeeves and Wooster - Character change.png
- Looking for writing rules(qm) Start here.jpg
- Moby Dick - Everybody skips the exposition.png
- Outland - Standing tall against the outrage of plot theft.png
- Poirot - All I need is an antagonist.png
- Prologues never contribute to the story.jpg
- Red - Start with action.png
- Show, don't tell.jpg
- Swedish Chef - Writing advice.png
- The protagonist has to succeed all on their own.png
- When dialogue you write, dialect you should not use.jpg
- You know Wilson, you can't tell a story without conflict.png
Recent Related Changes
Topics recently changed in Image (category):
Recent Topics with Comments
- Counteracting Bad Writing Advice (category)
- Gallery (category)
- Has Data Table (category)
- Has DynamicPageList (category)
- Has Gallery (category)
- Has Layout (category)
- Has LayoutGallery (category)
- Has Navbox (category)
- Has Table (category)
- Has Table Old (category)
- Has Tags (category)
- Image (category)
- Irony (category)
- Writing (category)
- Writing Advice (category)