Parallel Visions: City of Angels City of Demons ebook and trade paperback available on Amazon (or here).
Welcome to 2021! Let's get some writing done.
Track your writing progress in 2021 using this free spreadsheet.
(And if you're an author with a wiki, add a comment here.) If so, I'd like to hear about it. Add a comment here
ParaV:Parallel Visions: City of Angels City of Demons - Acknowledgements
- The question of whether Vance was dead or not became more than academic when he found himself in a bathtub up to his chin in ice water like some forgotten cocktail garnish, a demonic woman standing over him, and no memory of how he got there. But that question was one among legion, because what memories he did have were as comforting as a blackjack in the dark. So it wasn’t surprising when he found out that trouble was his business, and business was kicking his door down.
It took more than two years of dogged pursuit of inspiration for Parallel Visions: City of Angels City of Demons to go from inspiration to publication. During this frequently challenging process, I received help and encouragement from many sources. This was particularly true of the beta readers, who included David Cross, Eric Pobers, Eric Hall, Jenny Johnson, Joe Miller, Lane Whittaker, Stephanie Feldstein, and Tamara Boyd.
I lift a glass of Athena’s Wise Whiskey in salute to John C. Hocking for his early and frequent incitement to keep telling a story with so many of the characteristics that drew us both into speculative fiction.
I want to thank Steve Bartlett for reading the beta version. His audio brought the characters to life and provided me with insight into the prose and a voice over that kept on giving. A tip of the fedora goes to the Ann Arbor Area Writers Group Tuesday night members for their input: Dave Wanty, Elizabeth Van Ark, Karen Simpson, Kate Ting, Robyn Ford, Stephanie Feldstein, Wei (David) Liu, and Yma Johnson.
My gratitude and hard-boiled appreciation goes to my copyeditor, Gretchen Grey for wearing thin the mental shoe-leather required to edit this novel.
Thanks to all the open source and freeware developers, contributors, and other men and women who walk the mean streets of software freedom, who gave me the tools to support my writing process: 7zip, Calibre, Dia, Eclipse, Firefox, GIMP, Inkscape, LibreOffice, MediaWiki, Notepad++, Scribus, Sigil, WinMerge, and XnView.
- Chapter 1 — Meeting Miss Doolittle
- Chapter 2 — Out of the Tub and Into...?
- Chapter 3 — The Last Thing I Remember
- Chapter 4 — Little Devil Dry Ice Dust
- Chapter 5 — Did You See That?
- Chapter 6 — Memory of the Hound
- Chapter 7 — Am I Prone to PTSD Attacks?
- Chapter 8 — Crimson Halo Home and Office Assurance
- Chapter 9 — The D-Side or Rent is Cheap Here
- Chapter 10 — Remembering an Unexpected Intrusion
- Chapter 11 — How Do I Normally Treat People?
- Chapter 12 — Tower of the Lightbringer
- Chapter 13 — Memory of Arrival
- Chapter 14 — Summoning a Portal Imp
- Chapter 15 — Angel Light Burning Bright
- Chapter 16 — Nightclubs, Brass Plates, and Cabals
- Chapter 17 — Dark Corners of the Occult
- Chapter 18 — A List of People Trying to Kill Me Would Be Nice
- Chapter 19 — An Efreet Seeking a Brazier
- Chapter 20 — The Road to Elysium Beach
- Chapter 21 — Our Bit of Heaven
- Chapter 22 — On My Way to See a Man About a Brazier
- Chapter 23 — Front Page of the Ether Herald
- Chapter 24 — Put a Nickel in the Jukebox
- Chapter 25 — The Coast Highway
- Chapter 26 — Heaven’s Fallen
- Chapter 27 — Ambush at the D-Gate
- Chapter 28 — If We Can’t Go Back, We Go Forward
- Chapter 29 — A Stopover in Brugmansia
- Chapter 30 — An Excellent Crew of Shop Imps
- Chapter 31 — Angel Air
- Chapter 32 — Harim...Again
- Chapter 33 — After the Bodywork
- Chapter 34 — Plot Collision Course
- Chapter 35 — I Notice a Few Inconsistencies
- Chapter 36 — Two Coins are Traditional
- Chapter 37 — Ferry Ride to Campanile
- Chapter 38 — The Chauffeur
- Chapter 39 — Carillon
- Chapter 40 — The Ninth Circle
- Chapter 41 — La Belle Descends from the Stage
- Chapter 42 — Master of the Ninth Circle
- Chapter 43 — Negotiations
- Chapter 44 — Godfrey’s Humble Torc
- Chapter 45 — Caverns of Glacial Ice
- Chapter 46 — Consequences of an Instinctive Use of Magic
- Chapter 47 — Pardon Me, But Do You Have a Watch?
- Chapter 48 — Transmutations
- Chapter 49 — Pass the Brandy
- Chapter 50 — Fighting Fire With Fire
- Chapter 51 — Takedown
- Chapter 52 — A Figment of My Imagination?
- Chapter 53 — Cats, Dogs, and a Child up a Tree
- Chapter 54 — The Hunting Party
- Chapter 55 — Sulfurous Springs
- Chapter 56 — The True-Mountain People
- Chapter 57 — The Walls Tell a Story
- Chapter 58 — A Ritual of Fire
- Chapter 59 — Unexpected Waters
- Chapter 60 — We Have No Burnt Extract of Shrub-Beans
- Chapter 61 — Hunting Party Redux
- Chapter 62 — Back Through the Ice Caves
- Chapter 63 — The Tedium of Limbo
- Chapter 64 — Percy’s Triumph
- Chapter 65 — Too Much Luck in this Scenario
- Chapter 66 — A Roomy Trunk or An Unexpected Dungeon
- Chapter 67 — Moonpool Motel
- Chapter 68 — Instantiation
- Chapter 69 — Circle of Warding or Best Practices for the Noncorporeal
- Chapter 70 — A Spirited Interview
- Chapter 71 — I Didn’t Murder Her
- Chapter 72 — The Car Ate Him
- Chapter 73 — Bars and Circles of Warding
- Chapter 74 — On What Grounds?
- Chapter 75 — You Really Have Changed
- Chapter 76 — Pursuit on Route 666
- Chapter 77 — Junkyard
- Chapter 78 — Dinner with a Prince of the Fallen
- Chapter 79 — Zara and I Have a Chat or A Wonderful Life Interrupted
- Chapter 80 — The Scenario is Everything
- Chapter 81 — Newsreel from Astral Studios
- Chapter 82 — A Greater Summoning
- Chapter 83 — Zara Completes an Enchantment
- Chapter 84 — Decoys
- Chapter 85 — Border Crossing
- Chapter 86 — Anything to Declare? or What Strange Gifts Are These?
- Chapter 87 — Elves vs. Efreet
- Chapter 88 — The Veil of Tears
- Chapter 89 — Ethereal Perception
- Chapter 90 — Why Did You Run?
- Chapter 91 — Memories Lost and Found Out
- Chapter 92 — Altar of an Elder God
- Chapter 93 — The Minions and the Coupe
- Chapter 94 — Plaskin’s Extra-Roomy Boot with No View
- Chapter 95 — The Soul Blade
- Chapter 96 — Ritual Echoed
- Chapter 97 — It Will Be Me or the Elder God
- Chapter 98 — Crashing into the Waiting Room
- Chapter 99 — Come Get Us
- Chapter 100 — Blue Fly
- Chapter 101 — Vast and Complex Machinery
Recent Related Changes
Topics recently changed in PVCACD (category):
Recent Topics with Comments