Parallel Visions: City of Angels City of Demons ebook and trade paperback available on Amazon (or here).
Fritz's opening paragraph analysis criteria
Jim Van Pelt's scene appeal ratings
- No appeals to senses --> Multiple appeals to multiple senses
- No action --> Lots of action
- Vague setting --> Clear setting
- Language is confusing --> Language is clear --> Language is compelling
- Familiar use of language --> Unusual use of language
- Proofing issues --> Tightly proofread
- On Critiquing
- OSC Critique by Orson Scott Card - Nov 17, 1998
- Thoughts on Writing #12: Good Critique, Bad Critique. by Seanan McGuire
- How to Be a Good Critiquer and Still Remain Friends by James Gunn
- Useful & non-useful criticism by Kate Elliott at sfnovelists.com
- The Different Types of Critiquers by Elissa D Cruz at livejournal.com
- Thog's Masterclass -- This regular department of the sf newsletter Ansible enshrines gems of "differently good" prose from (mainly) science fiction and fantasy. It is to be assumed that the chosen selections are stuff which brutish Thog really likes.