Parallel Visions: City of Angels City of Demons ebook and trade paperback available on Amazon (or here).
Welcome to 2020! Let's get some writing done.
Track your writing progress in 2020 using this free spreadsheet.
Dispensing Justice - Chapter 4 - Zircon Man vs. the Demolition Squad (linked)
Chapter 4 — Zircon Man vs. the Demolition Squad
Before we could turn away from the monitor, the Demolition Squad had pried open the armored car's back door like it was a cheap tin roof. A red-and-blue supersuited figure with a golden exoskeleton and an equally golden full-face mask leapt out. He was immediately labeled Zircon Man by the system, so he must have had an active super-ID transmitter.
"That looks like a Cyber City Strong Man Mark III," Penny said, referring to Zircon Man's gold power-assist exoskeleton.
"Or an upgraded Mark II," I said.
"Could be. He doesn't stand a chance. He's not even wearing the Tough Guy armor mods."
"Definitely second string."
"He's got a cape," we said in unison.
Zircon Man was leaping about, engaging the four supervillains in a whirlwind of flying fists and kicks, his red-and-blue cape billowing up behind him.
"He won't last more than thirty seconds against the Squad."
"Unless they decide to 'play' with him."
"True. Corporate or rent-a-hero?" I asked, not bothering to look him up in the Supers Registry.
"Who cares? The League is busy dealing with the Robotic Horde at the plaza, so you've got your chance to do this without their intervention."
I palmed the lab lights icon on the console, instantly flooding the circular space with a daylight brightness. Penny wasn't discomforted by the sudden change in light levels, but I was forced to blink several times and let my eyes adjust. "I was wondering how I was going to arrange getting to the Squad before the League did."
We started moving to the north wall of the lab as I talked. Hanging six feet out from the middle of the wall there were four large, white backpacks, each with a thick silver umbilical cord arcing down from the ceiling. If you stopped and listened, you could hear the occasional heartbeat-like throb of pumps. Beyond the backpacks a half dozen suits in various states of repair were mounted on the wall. Each of them looked like a white full-bodied painter's overall, with hood, cap, goggles, and full-face rebreather mask. They each had two arcs in thick black lines inscribed on their chests, one curving up over one curving down. It was one of the standard diagrammatic symbols for a nozzle. At the mid-point of the nozzle where the curves almost touched was Dad's concession, or, perhaps, his acknowledgment of his membership in the Nova League: a red, eight-pointed starburst the diameter of a half-dollar. Looking at the suits, I felt my doubts surge up again. Was I worthy to wear any of Dad's suits? Could I ever really take his place?
Penny squeezed my shoulder with a hand that I was momentarily keenly aware was quite capable of crushing every bone therein. "You'll do him proud, Michael," she said, as if she had read my mind, which, as far as I knew, she still couldn't do.
- Chapter 2 - Friday Night in the Lab (Watching the Superhero News Network) -- (linked)
- Chapter 3 - Penny Drops In -- (linked)
- Chapter 4 - Zircon Man vs. the Demolition Squad -- (linked)
- Chapter 5 - The Suit -- (linked)
- Chapter 6 - 1947A -- (linked)
- Chapter 7 - I Saw You Die
- Chapter 8 - Penny Keeps Her Cool
- Chapter 9 - Mom Burns a Roast
- Chapter 10 - Diana to the Rescue
- Chapter 11 - The Twins Are Ejected Before Dinner
- Chapter 12 - The Vow
- Back to Dispensing Justice preview chapters.
- Back to Dispensing Justice
Recent Related Changes
Topics recently changed in DJ (category):
- Liberty IV Publishing
- Liberty IV Publishing catalog
- Dispensing Justice (definition)
- Dispensing Justice
- Superhero character relationship diagram as of December 8th, 1984, Nova Genesis timeline
- Character relationship diagram as of May 2nd, 1984, Nova Genesis timeline
- Dispensing Justice cover by Matt Howarth
- Superhero character relationship diagram as of May 2nd, 1984, Nova Genesis timeline
Recent Topics with Comments
- Fritz's recent reading list
- Read as Audiobook
- Nine Princes in Amber
- The Man Who Never Missed
- Crime fiction vs. thriller: left wing vs. right wing? (link)
- Genres with comments
- Genre Tropes and the Transmissibility of Story (link)
- Fritz's comments on genre
- Swedish Chef - Writing advice without talking about genre
- Fritz's comments on writing advice
- Better Know a Genre - Romance (link)
- DJ (category)
- DJ Chapter (category)
- Dispensing Justice (category)
- Fritz (category)
- Fritz Freiheit (category)
- Glossary Linked Chapter (category)
- Has DynamicPageList (category)
- Has FirstFloatRight (category)
- Has Layout (category)
- Has LayoutDJ (category)
- Has Navbox (category)
- Has Table (category)
- Has Table New (category)
- NGW (category)
- Nova Genesis (category)
- Preview Chapter (category)
- Story Cluster (category)