Parallel Visions: City of Angels City of Demons ebook and trade paperback available on Amazon (or here).
Welcome to 2021! Let's get some writing done.
Track your writing progress in 2021 using this free spreadsheet.
(And if you're an author with a wiki, add a comment here.) If so, I'd like to hear about it. Add a comment here
Cosmic Encounter (2008 game)
Cosmic Encounter (2008 game)
|From the Manufacturer
Build a galactic empire... In the depths of space, the alien races of the Cosmos vie with each other for control of the universe. Alliances form and shift from moment to moment, while cataclysmic battles send starships screaming into the warp. Players choose from dozens of alien races, each with its own unique power to further its efforts to build an empire that spans the galaxy.
Many classic aliens from earlier editions of this beloved game return, such as the Oracle, the Loser, and the Clone. Newly discovered aliens also join the fray, including Remora, Mite, and Tick-Tock. This classic game of alien politics returns from the warp once more.
In Cosmic Encounter, each player is the leader of an alien race. On a player's turn, he or she becomes the offense. The offense encounters another player on a planet by moving a group of his or her ships through the hyperspace gate to that planet. The offense draws from the destiny deck which contains colors, wilds and specials. He or she then takes the hyperspace gate and points at one planet in the system indicated by the drawn destiny card. The offense vs. the defenses ships are in the encounter and both sides are able to invite allies, play an encounter card as well as special cards to try and tip the encounter in their favor.
The object of the game is to establish colonies in other players' planetary systems. Players take turns trying to establish colonies. The winner(s) are the first player(s) to have five colonies on any planets outside his or her home system. A player does not need to have colonies in all of the systems, just colonies on five planets outside his or her home system. These colonies may all be in one system or scattered over multiple systems. The players must use force, cunning, and diplomacy to ensure their victory.
|Players:||3 to 5 Player Game|
|Publisher:||Fantasy Flight Games|
|Tags:||Game, Board Game, Science Fiction, Cosmic Encounter, Has Example, Board Game, SF Game, Asymmetric Game, Variable Player Powers Game, Have Game, 3 to 5 Player Game, Multiplayer, 3 Player Game, 4 Player Game, 5 Player Game, Recommended for Multiplayer, Recommended for 4 Players, Recommended for 5 Players, Best for 5 Players, Pick, Game Pick, Board Game Pick|
|BoardGameGeek:||Cosmic Encounter (2008 game)|
|Amazon:||Game, Expansion #1|
This is the first expansion set for the Fantasy Flight Games version of Cosmic Encounter. Adapted from the Fantasy Flight web site:
Over the years, alien empires have risen and fallen. The Vacuum has failed to eliminate the Zombie, the Virus has spread far and wide, and the Loser has turned defeat into victory. 50 different species have tried to conquer the galaxy, and each have made their mark on the universe. Their warring has not gone unnoticed.
20 new alien cultures are now racing towards the site of the conflict. They each want to carve out their own piece of the galaxy for themselves. The aliens may be familiar to some of you (reprints of past favorites), or are aliens no one has ever seen before. The first on our list is a blast from the past; the Sniveler!
In addition, this expansion includes additions to the Cosmic Encounter universe. From the game-changing Cosmic Quakes to the bounties held within the Reward deck, these additions are sure to spice up your quest for galactic dominance.
Every game has seen five races converge to do battle for control of an empire. Now, the galaxy gets crowded. A sixth race appears to do battle, and the sixth member of your play group is able to join you. Cosmic Incursion allows a sixth player to get in on the fun.
Cosmic Encounter puts you in charge of the fate of an alien race. Each flavor of extraterrestrial strives to be the first to conquer five enemy colonies and establish themselves as the dominant life form. Every faction has a unique power, a power they intend to use to crush their enemies. With over 50 aliens to choose from no two games will be the same.
This is the second expansion set for the Fantasy Flight Games version of Cosmic Encounter. From FFG web site:
In Cosmic Conflict, 20 new alien races explode onto the galaxy! Players will now shudder at the insidious kindness of the Empath, blink in confusion at the antics of the Lunatic, and howl in outrage as their planets are stolen away by the Claw!
Cosmic Conflict also makes the Cosmos even bigger, adding another player (and attractive black components) to the game. Cosmic Quakes will shake things up, ensuring that no player’s hand is truly safe. And as if that wasn’t enough, Cosmic Conflict introduces a new variant to the game – the hazard deck, which confronts the players with dangerous and amusing events that can crop up at any time.
Hazards are special game-altering conditions that bring exciting effects to your Cosmic Encounter experience. Special destiny cards, drawn during the destiny phase, display a “hazard warning” in the upper left corner; this indicates that a hazard card should be drawn.
Consisting of two types (temporary and permanent), these cards have a variety of wild effects. The Energy Fields hazard card, for example, lets each main player draw two free cards... but they must show them to the group first. And the optional “Extremely Hazardous Variant” will take you on a wild ride; it brings a new hazard card into play every turn!
Game description from the publisher:
Cosmic Alliance, the third expansion set for the Fantasy Flight Games version of Cosmic Encounter, brings 20 alien races, both original and classic, exploding onto your tabletop. Players will now stand petrified by the hideous Gorgon, be baffled by the puzzle of the Schizoid, and feel obsolete before the bionics of the Cyborg.
Cosmic Alliance also makes the Cosmos even bigger, adding another player (white) as well as rules for large eight-player games (if you own all three expansions). Finally, Cosmic Alliance introduces a new variant – team rules, which allow steadfast allies to dominate the Cosmos together!
This optional Team Cosmic variant places players in randomly determined teams of two, in which they'll attempt to conquer the Cosmos cooperatively. Without discussing their race selection in advance, partners sit opposite each other at the table, where they can occasionally offer a helping hand; whenever a player gains a new foreign colony, he can choose to instead give that colony to his partner.
Cosmic Storm, the fourth expansion for FFG's version of Cosmic Encounter, sets the galaxy trembling as twenty-five new alien races come zipping through the cosmos. Guard yourself against the sticky-fingered Swindler, and stand in awe of the massive appetite of the Mouth.
Cosmic Storm also adds ten space stations, which when attached to one of your home planets gives you additional powers to use in your encounters as long as you have at least one ship on that planet. Space station abilities like the "Big Space Laser" or the "Alien Outpost" shake up interstellar encounters and provide even more options for players to maximize their options on their quest for galactic supremacy!
The fifth expansion set for the Fantasy Flight Games version of Cosmic Encounter, Cosmic Dominion has the unique distinction of having been designed and developed by the fan base of Cosmic Encounter, comprising nearly two years of collaboration on both Facebook and BGG.
Cosmic Dominion adds 30 new aliens to the FFG canon. These will include a few favorite classics from the good old days, with a large number of new alien powers contributed by a wide variety of fan designers.
The set also includes a brand-new Reward Deck that can stand alone or be mixed with the one in Cosmic Incursion, but that is composed almost entirely of new cards, many with interesting twists on standard ones.
Finally, included are special "Special Ship Markers" that can be used for a variety of variants, with some included in the rulebook to start you off.
- Cosmic Encounter (1977 game)
- Cosmic Encounter (1991 game)
- Cosmic Encounter (2008 game)
- Cosmic Encounter (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Alliance (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Conflict (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Dominion (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Eons (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Storm (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Expansion Set 1 (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Expansion Set 2 (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Expansion Set 3 (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Expansion Set 4 (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Expansion Set 5 (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Expansion Set 6 (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Expansion Set 7 (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Expansion Set 8 (game)
- Cosmic Encounter: Expansion Set 9 (game)
- More Cosmic Encounter (game)
- Simply Cosmic (game)
- Cosmic Encounter (1977) 5 players in play.jpg
- Cosmic Encounter (1977) 6 player setup.jpg
Game Player See Also
- Has Number of Players (category)
- Recommended Number of Players (category) / Best Number of Players (category)
- 1 player game (category) / Recommended for 1 player / Best for 1 player
- 2 player game (category) / Recommended for 2 players / Best for 2 players
- 3 player game (category) / Recommended for 3 players / Best for 3 players
- 4 player game (category) / Recommended for 4 players / Best for 4 players
- 5 player game (category) / Recommended for 5 players / Best for 5 players
- 6 player game (category) / Recommended for 6 players / Best for 6 players
- 7 player game (category) / Recommended for 7 players / Best for 7 players
- 8 player game (category) / Recommended for 8 players / Best for 8 players
- 9+ player game (category) / Recommended for 9+ players / Best for 9+ players
- Multiplayer (category)
- Players (category)
- Solitaire (category)
- Try searching for Cosmic Encounter (2008 game) using Google
- Try searching for images Cosmic Encounter (2008 game) using Google
- Try searching for links to https://fritzfreiheit.com/wiki/Cosmic_Encounter_(2008_game) using Google
- Try searching for related to https://fritzfreiheit.com/wiki/Cosmic_Encounter_(2008_game) using Google
- Try searching for Cosmic Encounter (2008 game) using DuckDuckGo
- Try searching for Cosmic Encounter (2008 game) at Wikipedia
- Try page Cosmic Encounter (2008 game) at Wikipedia
- Try Cosmic Encounter (2008 game) at Amazon.com
- Try Search for game Cosmic Encounter (2008 game) at BoardGameGeek
- Try Search for RPG Cosmic Encounter (2008 game) at RPGGeek
- Try searching for Cosmic Encounter (2008 game)+review using Google
- Try searching for Cosmic Encounter (2008 game)+video+review using Google
- Try searching for Cosmic Encounter (2008 game)+video+walk+through using Google
Recent Related Changes
Topics recently changed in Game (category):
Recent Topics with Comments
- 2000s (category)
- 2008 (category)
- 2008 Game (category)
- 2008 Publication (category)
- 3 Player Game (category)
- 3 to 5 Player Game (category)
- 3 to 6 Player Game (category)
- 4 Player Game (category)
- 5 Player Game (category)
- Asymmetric Game (category)
- Best for 5 Players (category)
- Board Game (category)
- Board Game Pick (category)
- Cosmic Encounter (category)
- Fantasy Flight Games (category)
- Game (category)
- Game Pick (category)
- Has Amazon Link (category)
- Has BoardGameGeekID (category)
- Has Cover Image (category)
- Has Data Table (category)
- Has Description (category)
- Has DynamicPageList (category)
- Has Example (category)
- Has Expansion (category)
- Has FirstImage (category)
- Has Game Family (category)
- Has Homepage Link (category)
- Has Image (category)
- Has Infobox (category)
- Has Layout (category)
- Has LayoutGame (category)
- Has Mechanics (category)
- Has Navbox (category)
- Has Number of Players (category)
- Has Table (category)
- Has Table Old (category)
- Has Type (category)
- Have Game (category)
- Multiplayer (category)
- Needs Best for Number of Players (category)
- Needs Designer (category)
- Needs Recommended Number of Players (category)
- Pick (category)
- Recommended for 4 Players (category)
- Recommended for 5 Players (category)
- Recommended for Multiplayer (category)
- SF Game (category)
- Science Fiction (category)
- Variable Player Powers Game (category)