Parallel Visions: City of Angels City of Demons ebook and trade paperback available on Amazon (or here).
Welcome to 2020! Let's get some writing done.
Track your writing progress in 2020 using this free spreadsheet.
|Charles David George "Charlie" Stross is a writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. His works range from science fiction and Lovecraftian horror to fantasy.
Stross is sometimes regarded as being part of a new generation of British science fiction writers who specialise in hard science fiction and space opera. His contemporaries include Alastair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams, and Richard Morgan.
- Scratch Monkey (released, 1993; published, 2011) available online
- Accelerando (2005, ISBN 0-441-01284-1) available online
- Glasshouse (2006, ISBN 0-441-01403-8)
- Palimpsest (2011 novella)
- The Rapture of the Nerds (2012, collaboration with Cory Doctorow)
Stross has announced that he is very unlikely to write a third book in this series.
The Laundry Files
A series of science fiction spy thrillers about Bob Howard (a pseudonym taken for security purposes), a one-time I.T. consultant, now field agent working for British government agency "the Laundry", which deals with occult threats. Influenced by Lovecraft's visions of the future, and set in a world where a computer and the right mathematical equations is just as useful a tool-set for calling up horrors from other dimensions as a spell-book and a pentagram on the floor.
- The Atrocity Archives (2004, ISBN 1-930846-25-8; also contains the extra story The Concrete Jungle, Best Novella winner, 2005 Hugo Awards)
- The Jennifer Morgue (2006, ISBN 1-930846-45-2; also contains the extra story Pimpf)
- Down on the Farm (2008 novelette) available online
- Overtime (2009 novelette – set less than 18 months after The Fuller Memorandum) available online
- The Fuller Memorandum (2010, ISBN 1-84149-770-3)
- The Apocalypse Codex (2012)
- Equoid (2013 novelette – Takes place after the events of Down on the Farm, before the events of The Fuller Memorandum) available online
- The Rhesus Chart, (2014, ISBN 978-0-425256-86-2)
- The Annihilation Score (forthcoming, probably July 2015)
- The Nightmare Stacks (working title, probably 2016)
Stross also authorised, but did not author, an official role-playing game, The Laundry (2010, ISBN 1-907204-93-8, Gareth Hanrahan, published by Cubicle 7) and a number of supplements based on the "Bob Howard – Laundry" series. The system uses an adaptation of the Call of Cthulhu RPG rules (under licence from Chaosium).
Merchant Princes series
The Merchant Princes is a series in which some humans have an ability to travel between parallel Earths, which have differing levels of technology. This series is science fiction, even though it was originally marketed by the publisher as fantasy. It was originally intended to be a trilogy, but at the end the writing of the first novel, the publisher requested that it be split for shorter length, and this length carried over to the other novels. The first three books were collectively nominated for and won the Sidewise Award for Alternate History in 2007.
- The Family Trade (2004, ISBN 0-7653-0929-7)
- The Hidden Family (2005, ISBN 0-7653-1347-2)
- The Clan Corporate (2006, ISBN 0-7653-0930-0)
- The Merchants' War (2007, ISBN 0-7653-1671-4)
- The Revolution Business (2009, ISBN 0-7653-1672-2)
- The Trade of Queens (2010, ISBN 0-7653-1673-0)
The six books were later re-edited back into the originally intended form as three longer novels. The new books were released in the UK beginning in April 2013, and in DRM-free format in the United States in January 2014.Template:Cn
- The Bloodline Feud ISBN 978-1447237617 (contains The Family Trade and The Hidden Family)
- The Traders' War ISBN 978-1447237624 (contains The Clan Corporate and The Merchants' War)
- The Revolution Trade ISBN 978-1447237648 (contains The Revolution Business and The Trade of Queens)
In January 2013 Tor announced a new Merchant Princes trilogy.
Halting State series
Science-fiction/crime novels set 'fifteen minutes in the future' which concentrate on life in the early 21st century, and how innovations in policing, surveillance, economics, computer games, the internet, memes and other inventions may change our lives in the future. The series was originally planned to be a trilogy but Stross claimed his current plot idea were mooted by the Snowden revelations and he was no longer planning a third book.
- Halting State (2007, ISBN 978-0-441-01498-9)
- Rule 34 (2011, ISBN 978-0-441-02034-8)
- The Lambda Functionary (working title- planned for 2014)(cancelled on 9 December 2013 )
Saturn's Children series
Stross's space opera series, featuring the android society that develops after the extinction of humanity.
- Saturn's Children (2008, ISBN 0-441-01594-8)
- Bit Rot (Online short story)
- Neptune's Brood (2013, ISBN 0-425-25677-4)
The Science Fiction Book Club has published omnibus editions in the US that combine two books, without new material.
- Timelike Diplomacy (2004; combines Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise)
- On Her Majesty's Occult Service (2007, combines The Atrocity Archives and The Jennifer Morgue)
- Toast: And Other Rusted Futures (2002, ISBN 1-58715-413-7) available online, containing
- "Toast: A Con Report” (Interzone, August 1998)
- “Extracts from the Club Diary” (Odyssey 3, 1998)
- “Ship of Fools” (Interzone 98, June 1995)
- “Dechlorinating the Moderator” (Interzone 101, 1996)
- “Yellow Snow” (Interzone 37, July 1990)
- “Lobsters” (Asimov’s SF Magazine, June 2001); Best Novelette nominee, 2002 Hugo Awards
- "Antibodies" (Interzone 157, July 2000)
- "Bear Trap" (Spectrum SF 1, January 2000)
- "A Colder War" (Spectrum SF 3, August 2000) available online
- Wireless: The Essential Charles Stross (2009, ISBN 978-0-441-01719-5), containing
- "Rogue Farm" (Live Without a Net, 2003, edited by Lou Anders, ISBN 978-0-451-45945-9)
- "Unwirer" with Cory Doctorow (ReVisions, 2004 edited by Julie E. Czerneda and Isaac Szpindel, ISBN 978-0-7564-0240-2)
- "MAXOS" (Stross, Charles; Haafkens, Caroline; Mohammed, Wasiu (25 August 2005). "MAXO signals". Nature 436 (7504): 1206. DOI:10.1038/4361206a. )
- "Missile Gap" (One Million A.D., 2005, edited by Gardner Dozois, ISBN 978-0-7394-6273-7)
- "Snowball's Chance" (Nova Scotia: New Scottish Speculative Fiction, 2005, edited by Neil Williamson and Andrew J. Wilson, ISBN 978-1-84183-086-5)
- "Trunk and Disorderly" (Asimov's Science Fiction, 2007)
- "Down on the Farm" (Tor.com, 2008) available online
- "Palimpsest"; Best Novella winner, 2010 Hugo Awards
- Halo (2002, novelette)
- Missile Gap (2007, ISBN 1-59606-058-1; novella) available online
- Minutes of the Labour Party Conference 2016 (2007, short story in the Glorifying Terrorism anthology)
- The Web Architect's Handbook (1996, ISBN 0-201-87735-X)
Bibliography from ISFDB
Halting State 1 Halting State (2007) 2 Rule 34 (2011)
Laundry 1 The Atrocity Archive (2001) also appeared as: Serializations: The Atrocity Archive (Part 1 of 3) (2001) The Atrocity Archive (Part 2 of 3) (2002) The Atrocity Archive (Part 3 of 3) (2002) 2 The Jennifer Morgue (2006) 3 The Fuller Memorandum (2010) 4 The Apocalypse Codex (2012) 5 The Rhesus Chart (2014) The Atrocity Archives (2004) [O/1+nva] The Concrete Jungle (2004) [SF] Pimpf (2006) [SF] [also as by Charlie Stross ] On Her Majesty's Occult Service (2006) [O/1-2+nva+nt] Down on the Farm (2008) [SF] Overtime (2009) [SF] Equoid (2013) [SF] Three Tales from the Laundry Files (2014) [C]
Saturn's Children 1 Saturn's Children (2008) 2 Neptune's Brood (2013) Bit Rot (2011) [SF]
Singularity Sky 1 Singularity Sky (2003) 2 Iron Sunrise (2004) Timelike Diplomacy (2004) [O/1-2]
The Merchant Princes 1 The Family Trade (2004) 2 The Hidden Family (2005) 3 The Clan Corporate (2006) 4 The Merchants' War (2007) 5 The Revolution Business (2009) 6 The Trade of Queens (2010) The Bloodline Feud (2013) [O/1,2] The Traders' War (2013) [O/3,4] The Revolution Trade (2013) [O/5,6]
Accelerando (2005) Glasshouse (2006) Scratch Monkey (2011) The Rapture of the Nerds (2012) with Cory Doctorow
Toast (2002) Wireless (2009)
Approaching Xanadu (1989) Lobsters (2002) A Colder War (2005) Antibodies (2005) Missile Gap (2007) Down on the Farm (2008) Overtime (2009) Palimpsest (2011) Equoid (2013)
The Web Architect's Handbook (1996) Japan 2007 (2007)
Short Fiction Series
Macx Family 1 Lobsters (2001) 2 Troubadour (2001) 3 Tourist (2002) 4 Halo (2002) 5 Router (2002) 6 Nightfall (2003) 7 Curator (2003) 8 Elector (2004) 9 Survivor (2004)
Ancient of Days 1 Ancient of Days (1992) 2 Red, Hot and Dark (1993)
Warhammer Universe Warhammer 40,000 Monastery of Death (1990)
In Search of a Fergussen Event (1985) The Boys (1987) In the Dream Time (1988) The Reavers and the Dead (1989) [only as by Charles Davidson ] Generation Gap (1989) Approaching Xanadu (1989) Yellow Snow (1990) Something Sweet (1991) with Simon Ings [only as by Charles Stross and Simon D. Ings ] SEAQ and Destroy (1991) Examination Night (1992) The Midlist Bombers (1992) Tolkowsky's Cut (1993) with Simon Ings Ship of Fools (1995) Dechlorinating the Moderator (1996) A Boy and His God (1997) Extracts from the Club Diary (1998) TOAST: A Con Report (1998) Extracts from the Club Diary: 1889 to 2019 (1998) Bear Trap (2000) A Colder War (2000) Antibodies (2000) Big Brother Iron (2002) Jury Service (2002) with Cory Doctorow Rogue Farm (2003) Flowers from Alice (2003) with Cory Doctorow The Rapture of the Nerds: Jury Duty and Appeals Court (2004) with Cory Doctorow Unwirer (2004) with Cory Doctorow The Clan Corporate (excerpt) (2005) Snowball's Chance (2005) MAXO Signals (2005) also appeared as: Variant Title: MAXO Signals: A New and Unfortunate Solution to the Fermi Paradox (2007) Variant Title: MAXOS (2009) Remade (2005) Missile Gap (2005) M*ss*g* *n * t*m* c*ps*l* (2006) Trunk and Disorderly (2007) Minutes of the Labour Party Conference, 2016 (2007) Halting State (excerpt) (2008) Palimpsest (2009) A Bird in the Hand (2011) A Tall Tail (2012)
Expressing Myself (1985) Letter (Focus 11) (1985) Letter (Vector 154) (1990) with Simon Ings Myths, Computers and Cyberpunk (1990) Blue Sky Science: Cheaper, Faster, Better? (1997) Blue Sky Science: The End of Time as we Know it? (1997) Blue Sky Science: The Future is MEMS (1998) Introduction: After the Future Imploded (2002) Afterword: Inside the Fear Factory (2004) Glossary of Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Organizations (The Atrocity Archives) (2004) Afterword: Five Years After the Wire (2006) Afterword: The Golden Age of Spying (The Jennifer Morgue) (2006) Afterword: The Golden Age of Spying (2006) Glossary of Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Organizations (The Jennifer Morgue) (2006) Japan 2007 (2007) Vorwort (Blutmusik) (2008) Introduction (Wireless) (2009) Introduction (The Green Leopard Plague and Other Stories) (2010) Blogging and Me (2011) Common Misconceptions About Publishing (2011) Scratching the Itch (2011)
The Misplaced Legion (1988) by Harry Turtledove The Grey Horse (1988) by R. A. MacAvoy The Rapture Effect (1988) by Jeffrey Carver Berserker Man (1989) by Fred Saberhagen Hunter / Victim (1989) by Robert Sheckley Star of Gypsies (1989) by Robert Silverberg Free Zone (1989) by Charles Platt Dreams of Flesh and Sand (1989) by W. T. Quick Moon of Ice (1989) by Brad Linaweaver Morlock Night (1989) by K. W. Jeter Voice of the Whirlwind (1989) by Walter Jon Williams Of Men and Monsters (1990) by William Tenn The Empress of Earth (1990) by Melissa Scott Battle Circle (1990) by Piers Anthony The Sirens of Titan (1990) by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. Griffin's Egg (1991) by Michael Swanwick Hyperion (1991) by Dan Simmons The Fall of Hyperion (1991) by Dan Simmons Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Condition (1991) by Ed Regis The Brains of Rats (1992) by Michael Blumlein Hearts, Hands and Voices (1992) by Ian McDonald Red Mars (1992) by Kim Stanley Robinson Steel Beach (1993) by John Varley Moving Mars (1994) by Greg Bear Backroom Boys: The Secret Return of the British Boffin (2004) by Francis Spufford Queen of Candesce (2008) by Karl Schroeder
Greg Bear and Lewis Shiner (1989) with Greg Bear and Lewis Shiner Charles Stross: Exploring Distortions (2003) Charles Stross: Fast Forward (2005) Charles Stross: Spung! (2008) Charles Stross: Contrarian (2011)
- Try searching for Charles Stross using Google
- Try searching for images Charles Stross using Google
- Try searching for links to https://fritzfreiheit.com/wiki/Charles_Stross using Google
- Try searching for related to https://fritzfreiheit.com/wiki/Charles_Stross using Google
- Try searching for Charles Stross using DuckDuckGo
- Try searching for Charles Stross at Wikipedia
- Try page Charles Stross at Wikipedia
- Try Charles Stross (author) at Wikipedia
- Try Charles Stross at ISFDB
- Try searching isfdb.org for Charles Stross using Google
- Try Charles Stross at Amazon
- Try Search for Charles Stross at Audible.com
- Try See Charles Stross at Wikiquote
- Try Search for Charles Stross at GoodReads.com
Recent Related Changes
Topics recently changed in Author (category):
Recent Topics with Comments
- Doing Time (2019 novel)
- A good book can change your life (disturbing implication) (image)
- Maybe we haven’t found alien life because it’s sleeping (link)
- Skeen's Leap
- The Web of Writing (link)
- Network Effect
- Abandoned Series Comment Content Template
- An Interview with Fritz Freiheit (link)
- Stealing Worlds
- The Unsung
- Pebble in the Sky
- 1964 (category)
- 1964 Birth (category)
- 1985 (category)
- 1985 Debut (category)
- 2016 (category)
- 2016 Last Active (category)
- Author (category)
- British Author (category)
- Has Bibliography (category)
- Has Birth Year (category)
- Has Blogpage Link (category)
- Has Data Table (category)
- Has Debut Year (category)
- Has Description (category)
- Has DynamicPageList (category)
- Has Goodreads Link (category)
- Has ISFDB Bibliography (category)
- Has ISFDB Link (category)
- Has Image (category)
- Has Infobox (category)
- Has Last Active Year (category)
- Has Layout (category)
- Has LayoutAuthor (category)
- Has Navbox (category)
- Has Table (category)
- Has Table Old (category)
- Has Tags (category)
- Living Author (category)
- New Space Opera (category)
- SF Author (category)
- Science Fiction (category)
- Space Opera (category)
- Uses Definition Parameter (category)
- Who (category)
- Stross, Charles. A press release, or something similar. Retrieved on 17 December 2010.
- 2005 Hugo Awards. The Hugo Awards. Retrieved on 5 February 2012.
- Stross, Charles (19 May 2014). The myth of heroism. Charlie's Diary. Retrieved on 26 May 2014.
- Stross, Charles (1 July 2014). Rhesus Chart: blood dripping fresh .... Charlie's Diary. Retrieved on 1 July 2014.
- Stross, Charles (3 July 2014). Spoiler Thread. Charlie's Diary. Retrieved on 3 July 2014.
- Stross, Charles (12 December 2010). A message from our sponsors. Charlie's Diary. Retrieved on 13 June 2011.
- UK Roleplayers (10 March 2010). Charles Stross' "The Laundry Files" RPG Announced. Retrieved on 13 June 2011.
- Cubicle 7. The Laundry – Cubicle 7 Entertainment Web Store. Retrieved on 13 June 2011.
- Commercial announcement. Charlie's Diary. Retrieved on 31 January 2014.
- Stross, Charles (10 September 2012). Announcement: Merchant Princes relaunch in the UK. Retrieved on 12 September 2012.
- tor.com (28 January 2013). New Trilogy from Charles Stross Coming Soon!. Retrieved on 7 November 2013.
- Stross, Charles. PSA: Why there won't be a third book in the Halting State trilogy. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Short Story: Bit Rot. Retrieved on 26 August 2014.
- 2002 Hugo Awards. The Hugo Awards (2 September 2002). Retrieved on 5 February 2012.
- 2010 Hugo Award Winners. The Hugo Awards. Retrieved on 5 February 2012.