I’ve created a Dispensing Justice page on Facebook. Check it out, and if you find yourself so inclined, ‘Like’ it.
Today, after declaring an end to the Barf Phase yesterday evening, The Red Rook moved into it’s second primary production stage, which I dub the Polish Phase. RR currently stands at a little over 78,500 words, which is reasonably close to my target of 80K words for the rough draft. Amazingly, I managed to maintain a 1K+ words per day all the up to the day before the final day (yesterday was I only managed to eke out 900 words or so), and all with only a moderate amount of pushing myself. If prior experience holds, I should be able to get a polished draft to my beta readers in about thirty days.
Yesterday marked another 20,000 words since the Red Rook progress report #2, and a mere 20,000 left to go for my targeted fist draft length of 80K. I continue to roll out 1K+ words a day, and I keep wondering when I’m going to hit the wall. But I’m pretty determined to do 80K in 80 days (or A Novel in Around 80 Days, but that’s a post for another day). At this point I’m reasonably certain I can get the beta draft of the Red Rook done by the end of September, and the ‘final’ version done by the end of November.
Just passed over the half-way point of 40,000 words on the Red Rook rough draft yesterday. I’ve managed to maintain a rate of over 1K words per day, which has been a pleasant surprise for me. If yo had asked me that I would could have turned out 1,000 plus words a day for 38 days straight, I would have said ‘No way!’. Hope to make it at least to the end of July at this rate.
This month was a good month. I’ve made good progress on the Red Rook, (sequel to Dispensing Justice, the first in my Nova Genesis superhero SF series) (and it’s from Penny’s viewpoint, rather than Michael’s) and it now stands at a bit over 21,000 words, which is a little over a quarter of the way to my 80,000 word goal for my first polish draft. What has been a little surprising is that I’ve been averaging slightly more than a thousand words a day. I think it’s because I’ve been bouncing around a lot, writing scenes and partial scenes as they come to me. Not sure how long that will last, but I’m hoping to keep the pace up at least through half-way. Of course, at some point I’m going to have slow down and fill in the gaps.
A quick announcement that the first draft, or as I refer to it, the barf draft, of my superhero science fiction YA novel Dispensing Justice is complete at 68,300 words. Now on to the polish phase. Oh, and stay tuned. It won’t be that long before it goes beta.
This week I made my thirteenth reading of Dispensing Justice at my Tuesday night writer’s group. Continue reading ““Dispensing Justice” halfway through barf phase”
My short-story-now-novel Nova Genesis: Dispensing Justice passed through the third-of-the-way mark this week Continue reading “Dispensing Justice cruised over the one-third mark this week”
My latest short-story-no-its-really-a-novel young-adult SF-superhero action-adventure story just broke 10,000 words. Only another 25,000 (or is it 60,000?) words to go.
”Stealing a Seed of the Giving-Tree” has moved into its first polish phase at a bit over 6000 words. On track for a beta release by Monday.
I’m wrapping up my first draft ”Stealing a Seed of the Giving-Tree” Continue reading “SaSotGT: Almost done with my first draft”
“Stealing a Seed of the Giving-Tree” is just shy of 3400 words and Continue reading “SaSotGT: two-thirds of the way through the barf phase”
I’ve finally finished the first polish pass on Continue reading “Finished the polish pass on SitS!”
Yesterday I finished up the barf phase of “A Sword in the Spokes”, Continue reading “Starting the polish phase of “A Sword in the Spokes””
Almost finished with my first pass on “A Sword in the Spokes”, the second Pelly and Winters story. Turned out to be about twice as long as I had expected, and that was after jettisoning several subplots.
The barf phase of “Lair of the Feathered Termites” has dragged out more than I would have liked. Continue reading “Finishing up “Lair of the Feathered Termites””
Finished the barf phase of “All You Quantum Zombies” at 3500 words.
Just finished up the barf phase draft of “Fortress of Wind and Glass”. Came in about fifty percent longer than I had originally projected at a bit over 15,000 words. Doesn’t look like I’ll finish the first polish pass by the end of November, but should have it done by the 7th of December.
Note: the target total was bumped up from 10,000 to 12,000 today.