|The Red Rook, sequel to Dispensing Justice and the second novel of Nova Genesis World is now available for Kindle or as a paperback at Amazon.
In The Red Rook, Penny confronts her doubts about becoming a superhero as events around the disappearance of one her school mates unfolds.
Melinda Rose Goodin's Writer's Gateway
Melinda Rose Goodin's Writer's Gateway (Recovered from the web.archive.org)
- The link Before you get started is broken, try all at web.archive.org, or most recent at web.archive.org
- The link Getting started is broken, try all at web.archive.org
- When to Start Writing
- The link Creating Memorable Characters is broken, try all at web.archive.org
- Character chart
- Character and Conflict Development: Picturing your characters and their conflict
- The link What's in a name? is broken, try all at web.archive.org, or most recent at web.archive.org
- Seven suggestions for writing a novel
- Story Elements - What will keep your readers turning the pages.
- Miscellaneous Tips for Writers
- Other Writer's Tips
SYNOPSES AND OUTLINING
- Synopsis - How to make your story as intriguing in summary as it is at full length.
- How to write a synopsis
- Outlining: Why Not
- What you need to be a good writer
- Scenes - The basic unit of storytelling, and how to write scenes quickly.
- 37 Dramatic Situations
- Storyboards - Getting from vague ideas to a coherent plot is easier than you think: using storyboards for writing.
- Plotting for Science Fiction
- Ten Points on Plotting
- Making The Unbelievable Believable
- Suspense Plot
- Suspense Plot Techniques
- Emotional Plot
- Techniques To Create a Story Premise
- Perceiving What's at Stake in Your Story
- Words commonly misused</a> - William Strunk, Jr. (1869-1946). The Elements of Style. 1918. Still commonly referred to, despite its age.
- Style - Writing well doesn't mean writing self-consciously.
- Dialogue - Let your characters speak for themselves
- Give Your Characters their Own Voice
- Voice - Who's telling this story anyway?
- Show or Tell? - Avoiding exposition--the novice writer's worst enemy.
- Proper Manuscript Format
- Manuscript Format - Your editor is your first reader; make her job as easy as possible.
AGENTS, PUBLISHERS AND CONTRACTS
- Understanding The Agency Agreement
- Finding an agent
- Publishers and Agents - Research your markets--and your potential marketers.
- Common Questions Writers Ask Me About Literary Agents
- Reading a Contract - Find the important items amid all the fine print
- The Publishing Audit
- Unbundling The Bundling Clause in Computer Book Contracts
- The Do-It-Yourself Publishing Lawyer
- On rejections
- Dealing with rejections
- Discussion of Robert Heinlein's "Five rules": including Rule Three: You Must Refrain From Rewriting, Except to Editorial Order
- Why Do Editors Reject Books?
CRITIQUING AND WRITERS GROUPS
- How to Start or Join a Writers Group
- Writers Groups - How to Keep Them Going
- Five Important Rules for a Successful Writers' Group
- How to Deal with Critiquing
- How to Critique Fiction
- How to Succeed in an Online Writing Workshop
- (I recommend the Online Writing Workshop for Sf, Fantasy and Horror, if you write genre and are willing to pay a membership fee.)