|The Red Rook, sequel to Dispensing Justice and the second novel of Nova Genesis World is now available for Kindle or as a paperback at Amazon.
In The Red Rook, Penny confronts her doubts about becoming a superhero as events around the disappearance of one her school mates unfolds.
|Author, SF fan, husband, father, and software developer, not necessarily in that order.|
I'm a writer who has made good (bad?) as an author-publisher after more than a decade of unpublished work. After many years of reading, I decided to try and to publish my first novel and a handful of short stories (all of which are set in the same world) in the traditional manner. This didn't work out. I wrote my second novel, Dispensing Justice (DJ), and after receiving a number of rejections (some of them encouraging), I decided to self-publish in late summer of 2011. By early December Dispensing Justice was available as an ebook, and the paperback followed in the first quarter of 2012. I've continued writing, and my third novel (2nd published, sequel to DJ) The Red Rook has gone live as both an ebook and print on Amazon. I'm currently working on my 4th and 5th novels.
My writing can be described as action-adventure SF that harks back to the golden age of space opera, but with a strong dose of modern SF, drawing from the sub-genres cyberpunk and the new space opera. My first published novel (as versus my first novel, which is a far-future transhuman action-adventure caper story) is an alternate history science fiction superhero coming of age story. It's sequel is also alternate history science fiction superhero story. I'm currently working on an urban fantasy novel with a SF twist, as well as a Doc Savage inspired novel in an "atomic punk" alternate history setting.
My last name, if you were wondering, is pronounced "Fryheight" and it means 'liberty' or 'freedom' in German.
Some of my interests, likes, and dislikes
- Fritz's favorite quotes
- Fritz's favorite metaphors
- Analytic philosophy
- Fritz likes it
- Fritz's favorite authors
- Fritz's list of books he would like to read again if only he had the time
- Fritz's list of foreign film picks
- Why I don't have a favorite author
- AADL Talks to Local Author Fritz Freiheit with Sherlonya Turner of the Ann Arbor District Library (March 2012)
- Author Interview: Fritz Freiheit at Standoutbooks.com (April 2013)
- Interviewing the Indies: Fritz Freiheit at Examiner.com (May 2013)
My first memories are of watching the Lone Ranger and JFK's funeral on TV. I discovered Heinlein in my middle school library, and have been avidly consuming SF and fantasy, sometimes to the detriment of my grades and social life, since then. I graduated from East Lansing High School, Michigan, in 1977, but my taste in music didn't crystallize until 1985 when I found myself in Los Angeles, recruited to write a Japanese language parser after spending a year in Japan working for Sumitomo Electric. A decade after that I graduated from the University of Michigan with a Masters of Science in Artificial Intelligence and got married. It would be another decade before I finished my first novel. I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan where I irritate my wife and daughter by listening to 80's music.
- Google Plus posts
- Amazon author page
- ISFDB author page
- BoardGameGeek profile
- Delicious.com Links (network)
- Facebook page (home)
- Goodreads profile
- Google:  / Profile
- LinkedIn page
- LiveJournal Blog (friends)
- MySpace page
- Shelfari page
- Technorati page
- Wikipedia user page
- Twitter page (home)
- About Fritz
- Fritz's fiction
- Fritz's daily tasks
- Fritz's books to acquire list
- Fritz's recent reading list
- Fritz's recent viewing list
- Fritz's to read stack
- Market research links
- How to create or maintain a glossary entry
- MediaWiki Templates
- List of description templates
- Some useful regular expressions
- User Pages
- NASFIC 2007 Report
- Ann Arbor Genre Writers Group
- Preparing to submit a manuscript
- Site management tools
- OpenOffice API
- iPhone links
- Podcast links
- Fritz's list of movies
- Notes on establishing a personal canonical collection of short stories
- Notes on the list of the best works of Space Opera
Chronological order of story completion
- "Angst Griffon"
- "No Cure"
- Tactics of Transience
- "The Shaper's Daughter"
- "The Alchemist of Liberty"
- "Death Rides for Free"
- "Up in the Nightgaunts Gang"
- "The Unmodified Man"
- "Death's Harp has One String"
- "Winters' Unexpected Arrival"
- "Fortress of Wind and Glass"
- "All You Quantum Zombies"
- "Lair of the Feathered Termites"
- "A Sword in the Spokes"
- "Stealing a Seed of the Giving-Tree"
- "In Your Eyes"
- "Drink Deep the Wine of Memory"
- Dispensing Justice
- The Red Rook
- Parallel Visions: City of Angels, City of Demons
Converted Legacy Links
- Fritz Freiheit's Welcome Page (~fritx)
- Book Raves from 1993
- Canary in the Bitmine (final snapshot)
- Fritz Likes It
- Fritz's Gedankenexperiments Critique
- Fritz's Key Questions
- Fritz's Lexicon
- Fritz's Reference Desk
- Fritz's Thinking Tools
- Fritz's Weird Stuff
- Fritz's Wordsmithy Tools
- Fritz's Writing Resources
- Science Fiction Classification System
- The Possibilities of FTL
- Yahoo Briefcase
Other Fritz Related Links
- Fritz's bookmarks at del.icio.us / Delicious links tagged Fritz
- Fritz's user page at isfdb.org
- Fritz's user page at Wikipedia
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Watchlist Fritz's watch list at Wikipedia]
Fritz's Friends and Contacts
- Alex P.
- Bill B.
- Bill T.
- Chris H.
- Cinda H.
- Gretchen G.
- Hal O. (libertango)
- Howard J.
- Jason W.
- Jenn J. (the Clue Fairy)
- Joe M.
- Kat T.
- Marc W.
- Merideth DW
- Michael C.
- Mike D.
- Paul T.
- Phil P.
- Rob T.
- Steve B. (poe)
- Tracy B.
- Ulrika O. (akirlu)
Site Management Links
2016 totals so far
|Audio short stories:||69||0||0||0||0|
- Real Tigers -- (started,audio,book)
- "Ruby 7: Dream Weaver, Dream Deceiver" -- (finished,radio theatre,audio,short story)
- "Ruby 6.5: Far Flung Farouk" -- (finished,radio theatre,audio,short story)
- The Man Who Knew Too Much -- (finished,audio,book)
- "The Tank of Terror" -- (started,short story)
- "The Diving Dead" -- (finished,short story)
- The Man Who Knew Too Much -- (started,audio,book)
- Gardens of the Moon -- (finished,audio,book)
- Quarantine (1992 novel) -- (finished,audio,book)
- Falling Free -- (finished,audio,book)
- Grave Peril -- (finished,audio,book)
|The Man With Two Left Feet -- (finished,audio,book)||
- The Man With Two Left Feet -- (started,audio,book)
- "The Diving Dead" -- (started,short story)
- The Weird Adventures of The Blond Adder -- (continued,book)
- Velvet, Vol. 3: The Man Who Stole the World -- (finished,graphic novel)
| Seven Wonders|
|I have mixed feelings about Seven Wonders. While it was a reasonable incarnation of superhero fiction, some of the plot / character twists weren't convincing. The most egregious of these was the Cowl's abandoning of his evil ways to become a good guy and member of the Seven Wonders. There just wasn't enough foundation to make it believable. I also felt that, given the extra-legal, if not simply evil behavior of the Seven Wonders should have lead to some "karmic retribution".|
- Velvet, Vol. 3: The Man Who Stole the World -- (started,graphic novel)
- Seven Wonders -- (started,book,audio)
- The Anubis Gates -- (finished,book,audio)
- Cobra Bargain -- (finished,reread,book,audio)
- Zero Cool -- (finished,book,audio)
- Cobra Strike -- (finished,reread,book,audio)
- Rolling Hot -- (finished,book,audio)
- At Any Price -- (finished,book,audio)
- Cobra (1985 novel) -- (finished,reread,book,audio)
- Superego (2014 novel) -- (abandoned,book,audio)
- Crimson Shore -- (finished,book,audio)
- Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits -- (finished,book,audio)
- Perdido Street Station -- (finished,book,audio)
- Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days -- (finished,book,audio)
- "Turquoise Days"
- "Diamond Dogs"
- Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days -- (started,book,audio)
- The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard -- (finished,anthology,book,audio)
- "The Tonto Woman"
- "The Boy Who Smiled"
- "Trouble at Rindo's Station"
- Twenty Years After -- (finished,book,audio)
- Napoleon's Wars -- (finished,book,audio)
- Twenty Years After -- (continued,book,audio)
- "Trail of the Apache" -- (finished,short story,audio)
- "Only Good Ones" -- (finished,short story,audio)
- "Blood Money" -- (finished,short story,audio)
- Twenty Years After -- (started,book,audio)
- "Saint with a Six-Gun" -- (finished,short story,audio)
- "Three-Ten to Yuma" -- (finished,short story,audio)
- The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard -- (started,anthology,book,audio)
- Napoleon's Wars -- (continued,book,audio)
- Six Degrees of Assassination -- (finished,fullcast,book,audio)
- Napoleon's Wars -- (continued,book,audio)
- The Shepherd's Crown -- (finished,book,audio)
- Polar: No Mercy for Sister Maria -- (finished,graphic novel)
- Napoleon's Wars -- (started,book,audio)
- Living the French Revolution and the Age of Napoleon -- (finished,lecture,audio)
- The Outfit -- (finished,book,audio)
- The Shepherd's Crown -- (started,book,audio)
- Living the French Revolution and the Age of Napoleon -- (continued,lecture,audio)
- The Outsorcerer's Apprentice -- (finished,book,audio)
- Living the French Revolution and the Age of Napoleon -- (continued,lecture,audio)
- The Last Adventure of Constance Verity -- (finished,book,audio)
- Polar: No Mercy for Sister Maria -- (started,graphic novel)
- The Last Adventure of Constance Verity -- (started,book,audio)
- Living the French Revolution and the Age of Napoleon -- (started,lecture,audio)
- Polar: Eye for an Eye -- (finished,graphic novel)
|Forty Thieves -- (finished,book,audio)||I had one major plot bump (and it happened twice) when late in Forty Thieves the Hoyts have a chance to carry out a surprise attack the Abels when they leave one of the diamond thieves gang's house, but choose not to give no compelling reason to let them go. This was followed by the a similar chumminess between the two sides in the climatic scene. Neither of which I really accepted.|
- Somebody Owes Me Money -- (finished,book,audio)
|The Affinities -- (finished,book,audio)||I almost stopped reading The Affinities due to a serious lack of visible plot. I kept going and finished it, but overall I was disappointed. The plot was weak, mostly a us-vs-them, and concluded on an ambivalent and unsatisfactory note. Not a book I would recommend.|
- The Man with the Getaway Face -- (finished,book,audio)
- The Prisoner of Zenda -- (finished,book,audio)
|Abaddon's Gate -- (finished,book,audio)||Abaddon's Gate, like the other Expanse novels so far, was slow and disappointing. I would describe it as old-school Space Opera, but not in a good way. Set centuries in the future, the technology is merely near future (except for the aliens, and their technology is indistinguishable from magic). I continue to have issues with the technology (or the failure there of) conveniently makes scenes more exciting. Blah. Ultimately, I can't recommend it, or the rest of the series.|
- The Nightmare Stacks -- (finished,book,audio)
- "Sealed Orders" (1962 short story) in Envoy to New Worlds (reread,finished,short story)
- The Nightmare Stacks -- (started,book,audio)
- "Protocol" (1962 short story) in Envoy to New Worlds (reread,finished,short story)
- Envoy to New Worlds -- (reread,started,book)
- Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits (started,graphic novel)
- James Bond Vol. 1: VARGR (finished,graphic novel)
|Vicious (2013 novel) -- (abandoned,book,audio)|| Soooo much telling! It took a third of the book before we got to the origins of the main characters. Way too much description of internal state and motivations. So much that I almost stopped reading, but I'm not quite ready to give up yet.
Update: A bit over halfway through and I have to take a break.Update 2: The break has turned into an abandon. Can't bring myself to go back and finish the book. I have too many other books to read.
- War Factory -- (finished,book,audio)
- Vicious (2013 novel) -- (started,book,audio)
- "The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent" -- (finished,short story,audio)
|AlterWorld: Play to Live, Book 1 -- (finished,book,audio)|| Recommendation: Skip (unless you want to read about how a character leveled in a MMORPG)|
AlterWorld: Play to Live was dragged down by being nearly plotless and an excessive reliance on cliches (and I mean a lot of cliches).
- I Shall Wear Midnight -- (finished,book,audio)
- Wintersmith -- (finished,book,audio)
- A Hat Full of Sky -- (finished,book,audio)
- The Stone Monkey -- (finished,book,audio)
- S.H.I.E.L.D. by Jim Steranko: The Complete Collection -- (graphic novel,started)
|In the opening paragraph of The Unnoticeables, the narrator goes to great effort to state that he isn't one for metaphor to reinforce his statements as true. Then proceeds in later paragraphs to extensively use metaphors. Update: The deliberate shock factor went ramped up dramatically. On top of not believing the character's response to the horror of what she was seeing (to accepting and blase by far) I felt like I was being deliberately poked with the "gore" and "sick sex" stick, so I'm done with this novel.|
|I liked Six of Crows, but was thrown out of the story by modern terminology every so often and this developed into a strong sense of inconsistency between the fantasy worldbuilding and references to 20th and 21st century terms and sensibilities. While the world appeared to be 19th century, terms like cargo container, tank (as in armored fighting vehicle), and scientist intruded. The magic also seemed to be simply a label that was applied to psionic powers. Which is fine, but with the anachronisms in use, it would have worked better to make the world a secondary science fiction one set in an alternate 20th century, albeit one where an alternate history starting sometime before the middle ages, possibly during Roman times.|
|Slaves of Sleep has one of the most boring opening chapters I can remember reading. The prologue is a sort of lecture and the first few chapters cover the mundane life of the (poor little rich boy) main character.|
- Tomorrowland: Our Staggering Journey from Science Fiction to Science Fact -- (started,stopped,book,audio)
| 5 SF stories by Mack Reynolds||
- "Time Crime" (1955) by H. Beam Piper -- (finished,short story,audio)
- Danger Club Volume One: Death (graphic novel) -- (finished,graphic novel)
|Early on (approx. 20% of the way through) in A Beautiful Friendship I became irritated with the preachy delivery and the main character being considered strictly honest (by herself and her parents) but this honesty did not extend to withholding information. While I can see this as being a sort of honest, it's rather disingenuous and (did I mention?) annoying. Don't think I can put up with this much more, so I won't be pursing the sequel.|
- Fritz's recent reading list 2015
- Fritz's recent reading list 2014
- Fritz's recent reading list 2013
- Fritz's recent reading list 2012
- Fritz's recent reading list 2011
- Fritz's recent reading list 2010
- Fritz's recent reading list 2009
- Fritz's recent reading list 2008 and 2007
What I've been watching recently
Old What's Up
- http://del.icio.us/fritz / Delicious links tagged Fritz
- Fritz's tag page at ifsdb.org
- Fritz's tags on ifsdb.org
- Start porting old wiki to FritzWiki.
- Port http://www.jroller.com/Fritz/feed/entries/rss to FritzWiki Fritz's Legacy Blogs.
- Find out how to forward domains
- Find an Open Source bookmark management PHP tool.
- Try porting some of those name generator PHP scripts.
- The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald
- Port Fermi's Paradox article to FritzWiki.
- Dale Danilewitz (worked at Whirlpool with you in the early 90s) --> Found, but...
- Roger James (RPGed with you out in L.A. during the later half of the 1980s)
- Tim Kelsey (went to high school with you)
- Figured out how to add Delicious links to the WordPress Blog.
- Fixed broken specials on this wiki.
- Found Wired Love by Ella Thayer
- 1959 (category)
- 1959 Birth (category)
- 2011 (category)
- 2011 Author (category)
- 2011 Debut (category)
- Alternate History (category)
- Author (category)
- Blogger (category)
- Fritz (category)
- Fritz Freiheit (category)
- Has FirstImage (category)
- Has Image (category)
- Has Infobox (category)
- Has Layout (category)
- Has Layout Base (category)
- Has LayoutAuthor (category)
- Has Navbox (category)
- Has Spoiler (category)
- Has Table (category)
- Has Table New (category)
- Science Fiction (category)
- Superhero (category)
- User (category)
- Who (category)
- Writer (category)