|The Red Rook, sequel to Dispensing Justice and the second novel of Nova Genesis World is now available for Kindle or as a paperback at Amazon.
In The Red Rook, Penny confronts her doubts about becoming a superhero as events around the disappearance of one her school mates unfolds.
Dispensing Justice - Chapter 12 - The Vow
After the dishes had been cleared and the rest of the Riggs-Armstrong clan had gone home, Penny and I sequestered ourselves in my room on the pretense of doing calculus homework. She had turned on my old clock radio and found Rikki's Request Hour on GROQ 104.7. Gabriel's Shock the Monkey was playing and it seemed to sum up the current state of my mind.
"Is this Fritz Mk. III?" Penny said, looking into the gerbil cage where the animal in question was running in his wheel, which was a pretty good reflection of my thoughts about the events of the day.
"Nope, Mk. IV," I said, pulling out my desk chair but not sitting.
"'They've killed Fritz!'" Penny said, turning to look at me. "'Those dirty, stinking fairies have killed Fritz!' Does that make you one of the fairies?"
"Ha, ha. Anyways, I thought it was funny when I named the first one Fritz. And I still like Wizards . . ."
"You like Wizards because it was the first drive-in movie that Liz and Mike went to that you managed to spycam."
"Ah, those were the days."
"When I was your muscle, you mean."
"You had some pretty diabolical plots, too, if I remember correctly." Which I did.
"Maybe if you name one of your gerbils 'Mongo'," Penny said, redirecting the topic of conversation back into safer waters. "It would live longer."
"It's a thought."
"I talked to Diana." 'About your dad being killed today,' was the elephant she didn't have to point out.
"Ah," I said, trying to play the stoic.
"The League recovered his body before the Demolition Squad could unmask him."
"That's good." My guts were churning and I had to work at keeping the casserole down. "What about him?" I added, jerking my chin towards the office downstairs where the man masquerading as my father had holed up after dinner.
"He's a government agent. Diana said that they sent him to make it more difficult for your dad's enemies to track you and Liz down."
I sat. Thoughts of revenge pumping hot through my mind. I balled my hands into fists and looked up at Penny, meeting her calm, sympathetic gaze.
"You know I'll support you, Michael, whatever you decide."
"One way or another I'm going to bring Chainsaw and the rest of the Demolition Squad to justice," I said. Corny or not, having made the vow, I felt better.
- Chapter 2 - Friday Night in the Lab (Watching the Superhero News Network) -- (linked)
- Chapter 3 - Penny Drops In -- (linked)
- Chapter 4 - Zircon Man vs. the Demolition Squad -- (linked)
- Chapter 5 - The Suit -- (linked)
- Chapter 6 - 1947A -- (linked)
- Chapter 7 - I Saw You Die
- Chapter 8 - Penny Keeps Her Cool
- Chapter 9 - Mom Burns a Roast
- Chapter 10 - Diana to the Rescue
- Chapter 11 - The Twins Are Ejected Before Dinner
- Chapter 12 - The Vow
- Back to Dispensing Justice preview chapters.
- Back to Dispensing Justice
Recent Related Changes
Topics recently changed in DJ (category):
- Dispensing Justice
- DJ Intro
- Dispensing Justice - Chapter 9 - Mom Burns a Roast
- DJ tech in real life
- Dispensing Justice - Chapter 3 - Penny Drops In (linked)
- DJ viewpoint
- Get Dispensing Justice
- DJ Tropes
- Dispensing Justice - Chapter 11 - The Twins Are Ejected Before Dinner
- DJ title
- DJ tech in the news
Recent Topics with Comments
- DJ (category)
- DJ Chapter (category)
- Dispensing Justice (category)
- Fritz (category)
- Has DynamicPageList (category)
- Has FirstFloatRight (category)
- Has Layout (category)
- Has LayoutDJ (category)
- Has Navbox (category)
- NGW (category)
- Nova Genesis (category)
- Preview Chapter (category)
- Story Cluster (category)